5 for 5 Self-Care Challenge: Draw or Paint
Dear Wonderful, Creative You:
I love all the challenges, but of course today’s challenge is my favorite, because I want to encourage you to get in touch with you inner artist.
Today is going to be a fun day. We’ve got some 5-minute art prompts for you to try now, and then tonight you can join the Finding Creative Freedom Webinar. We’ll be doing a series of exercises designed to help you free up your creative energies and explore art playfully. No art experience is necessary.
Click on the link to sign up for the Finding Creative Freedom webinar, tonight at 8:30 PM EST. If you’ve already RSVP’ed, there’s no need to do it again. You can submit your questions ahead of time on the Google + event page, or during the webinar.
[bctt tweet=”The painting has a life of its own. I try to let it come through. – Jackson Pollack”]
5 Minute Art Exercises for Relaxation
It might seem like there isn’t much you can do artistically in 5 minutes, but there’s actually quite a bit. Here’s a few ideas:
- Write a word or intention in the center of the page. Then scribble one continuous line around it. Keep twisting and turning in and out, left and right. Just explore where the line might like to go.
- Make a stone mandala, like the ones in this post.
- Doodle on the free printable meditative art grid in this post.
Drawing, Painting, Collage, and Sculpture Exercises:
- Create a messy background for your art journal or painting.
- Draw your breath, as it’s described at the bottom of this post.
- Pick up 2 -3 natural materials and string and create something in 5 minutes.
- Make art from office supplies. Use a hole punch, post its of 2 different colors, glue, and paper to create a collage of circles.
- Paint with tissue paper.
- Draw a flower mandala on small paper, perhaps 2×2.
- Try one of the ideas on this post on starting an art journal
Want more great ideas on making the most of your creative time? Sign up for free my art journaling and creativity class, here:
Make More Art!
Art Journaling 101 Online – the intuitive guide to intuitive art journaling in a self-paced video course with an online community.
Starting Your Art Journal – the ultimate guide to starting an art journaling practice at the most affordable price. Includes an online community.
Or talk to me about Creative Development Services, and see how I can personally guide you through your creative challenges.
My Favorite Art Supplies:
Strathmore tan paged art journal
Liquid acrylic paints
White gel pens
Pitt pens in black
Colored Sharpie Markers
Comment to Win!
(This contest is now over, but you can still comment to share your ideas below!)
Remember, you’ve got to comment for your chance to win Starting Your Art Journal or the portable art kit. What were you able to do in 5 minutes? Were you surprised at what came out? Frustrated with the short time? Or did you allow yourself to take more time?
For official rules and more information, click here.
Image credit for painted hands: Jean Schweitzer, 123RF.
Error: API requests are being delayed for this account. New posts will not be retrieved.
There may be an issue with the Instagram access token that you are using. Your server might also be unable to connect to Instagram at this time.