Dear Wonderful, Creative You:
I have been enjoying illustrating with paint blobs so much, I’m super excited to share it with you. Over the last year or so, I’ve been exploring a lot of the possibilities of high flow liquid acrylic paint. I never realized what a world of creative fun I was missing before these came into my life. They drip, they smudge, they create washes, they make fun shapes when you blow on them, and they mix together in beautiful, unexpected ways. This is some of the most fun creative self-care I do!
I’m also excited to explain how this idea came together, because it’s a great example of taking bits of this and that from other artists, and putting it together in your own way, much like Austin Kleon describes in Steal Like an Artist. We have so much room to inspire each other and grow together creatively.
Art journaling is about getting messy, letting loose, and allowing your imagination out to play.… Click To Tweet
I was introduced to this idea of taking a “blob” and turning it into an animal or a creature in a wonderful tutorial from Carla Sonheim. She makes “blobimals,” that are so fun and fanciful. As I played with this, I also noticed that my artist pal, Roxanne Coble, seemed to sometimes paint forms or silhouettes, and then use gel pens to create depth and detail. Viktoria Astrom, a stamp cutter and illustrator who I found on Instagram, does amazingly expressive animal stamps full of texture and detail. The process I’m teaching you here is the amalgam of all these artistic approaches and styles.
Isn’t that fun?Art journaling: Adult permission to play on the page. #doitfortheprocess Click To Tweet
Creative Notes on Illustrating with Paint:
- Remember, let yourself be silly, experiment, and HAVE FUN with this technique.
- If you enjoyed this, you NEED to grab your spot in my e-course, Fluid Art.
- Looking for help with backgrounds? Check out my “messy background” technique. It’s easy, fun, and beautiful!
- New to art journaling? Here’s a free tutorial to get you started.
- You were nodding profusely when I talked about getting the inner critic out of the way? Freeing the Muse will help you loosen up, let go, and have fun.
- Interested in learning more doodling and meditative art techniques? Try this mandala or these doodling techniques.
- Looking for a regular dose of inspiration and art journaling mojo? Sign up for my mailing list. You’ll also get the free Guide to Creative Self-Care. You can also follow me on Instagram – Amy Maricle
I can’t wait to see what you create! Follow me on Instagram @AmyMaricle and tag #MindfulArtStudio so I can experience the fun along with you.
*The supply links for illustrating with paint are affiliate links. That means that at no extra cost to you, if you choose to click and purchase something, you will support the work of Mindful Art Studio to empower the artist in all of us. Thank you!