Dear Wonderful, Creative You:
Art journaling is a vital part of my creative self-care practice and I hope these little videos spur you into creative action too!
It’s amazing to me how something that helps empty me out, lower my stress, and understand the world can also fill me with so much joy and meaning. Art journaling takes me on adventures into my own inner world in a way nothing else does. I want the same experience for you in your journal. Here’s a little window into mine right now. I hope you enjoy it:
Art Journaling Supplies I Use in This Video:
- The paint I’m using in this video is a high flow liquid acrylic from Golden, it’s like a creative secret weapon – always fun, always experimental! Look at that rich color!
- I’m pretty much obsessed with gold paint right now, the one I use to make the little “finishing” dot on the page is fluid acrylic, also from Golden.
- I’m a HUGE fan of working small – it makes getting creative so much less intimidating. I’m using a 3.5 x 5.5 journal from Moleskine.
- The pen is an 01 Micron pen in black.
Hints for Getting Creative:
- Don’t make such a big deal out of “making art.” Just sit down and experiment. Write out your feelings. Doodle a pattern. Cover a page in paint. Open your journal to a random page and play. You can try out things you see in this video or be inspired by your own interests.
- Make your lettering interesting by changing it’s size and varying upper and lower case. Writing slowly and practicing also help your writing to develop and look more pleasing.
- Instead of drawing first, write out a favorite quote and then paint a light coat of paint on the page.
- Remember, the only way to get started with your art, is to just start – whether for the first time ever, or the first time today. Sit down and do something, anything! Procrastination is the enemy of life-giving creative freedom.
- The drawing technique I’m practicing is called blind contour drawing. You can find out more drawing techniques here. I find it’s an excellent way to really SEE, to SLOW DOWN, and to get present. I hope you do too.
*Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you choose to click and purchase something, at no extra cost to you, you will be supporting the work of Mindful Art Studio to empower the artist in all of us. Thank you!